Ecological Achievements

Save Sharks Cove | 36 Turtle Rescues | Ghost Net Recoveries  | All Achievements (listed chronologically) | Endorsements

Turtle Rescue # 8 "Kenny"
August 10, 1999
Waimea Bay, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

This was an incredible day even by our standards. In the morning we spread the message of concern for the marine environment on Hawaii¹s #1 morning news program. Then we released Kainoa after having one fin amputated and one month in captivity. Now, on another boat dive charter we found our eight turtle in just 38 days! I am quite sure that no company has ever commanded the states attention and effected so much education through the media as we had done. All boasting aside we as a staff had done an incredible job. To me the turtles were messengers, and we were obligated to tell their story. So tell their story we did. People from all over the state called or came into the shop to thank us for what we had done, but all the thanks we needed was in knowing the bottom line. The bottom line was that we had physically saved many lives, and that feeling is unsurpassable in its joy. This time we received a call from one of our supporting North Shore Lifeguards who had sighted a turtle with hooks and line on his neck. We responded immediately, much to the liking of our customers and found "Kenny² the turtle after about a one hour search. I was able to free dive down about 8 ft and grab hold of Kenny on my second attempt. I was much nearer to the crowded shores of Waimea.

Turtle Release #1 "Kainoa"
August 10th, 1999 West Waimea Point, North Shore Oahu
After over one month in captivity and rehabilitation, Kainoa was to be released. Minus his left fin which sadly had to be amputated. For us however, this was a very good day. Earlier in the morning, Joe and myself were featured speakers on Hawaii's #1 morning new show. We had several minutes of unimpeded airtime where the story of these turtles could be spread to tens of thousands of Hawaii residents.

After having put up a bit of a battle, George Balaas (Hawaii's top turtle expert) agreed to let Kainoa free right where we found him on the North Shore. This meant a lot to us because we knew the interaction between turtles among their own species is much like the relationships that we as people develop for our friends and family, and our home for that matter. Seeing Kainoa was moving for us as well because he was in such bad shape when we found him. As soon as he heard the ocean however, all the life in him exposed itself. In about knee-deep water we let him out of his plastic box and off he went. We feel confident that we will see him again soon, and in the mean time we continue to pursue further protection of his home..

Turtle Rescue #7 "Zoe"
August 8, 1999
Puanea Point, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

Only one day after finding "Haloti² we found "Zoe². This turtle was also found while conducting a boat dive charter, with 5 customers on board. Zoe was a happy story because we were able to remedy her problem and release her right away. She was a beautiful healthy turtle aside from a large "ulua² hook which had hooked here completely through her small mouth. There was also fishing line coming off the hook and into her mouth which could be very dangerous. As it turned out however it was not. After about a half hour the hook and line was removed and Zoe was back home in the water. Always a good feeling. Of special interest is the fact that Joe, our instructor, had just been cleared to dive after his recompression chamber visit one month earlier. (see "Turtle Rescue #4 "Kainoa²) "Kainoa² the turtle gets released August 10, 1999 West Waimea Point, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii After over one month in captivity and rehabilitation, Kainoa was to be released. Minus his left fin which sadly had to be amputated. For us however, this was a very good day. Earlier in the morning, Joe and myself were featured speakers on Hawaii¹s #1 morning new show. We had several minutes of unimpeded air time where the story of these turtles was able to be spread to tens of thousands of Hawaii residents. After having put up a bit of a battle, George Balaas (Hawaii¹s top turtle expert) agreed to let Kainoa free right where we found him on the North Shore. This meant a lot to us because we knew the interaction between turtles among their own species is much like the relationships that we as people develop for our friends and family, and our home for that matter. Seeing Kainoa was moving for us as well because he was in such bad shape when we found him. As soon as he heard the ocean however, all the life in him exposed itself. In about knee deep water we let him out of his plastic box and off he went. We feel confident that we will see him again soon, and in the mean time we continue to pursue further protection of his home.. 

Turtle Rescue #6 "Haloti"
August 7, 1999
Puaena Point, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

As we routinely find marine problems on our paid tours we invariably find that our customers genuinely appreciate our efforts. Often times it is the kids that really support us. I think many in the younger generations intelligently and intuitively know just how serious the problems are that we are creating for them. A few days earlier a young boy named Zach had seen us bring "Dan² into the harbor and it moved him. He then brought in a ball of fishing line and weights he had just recovered at Waimea Bay. Due to our latest report of an injured turtle in the area we were on the search the next day and I invited Zach and his family to come along and observe. Sure enough we found our sixth turtle,
"Haloti² at a turtle cleaning station that we frequent regularly. As I approached Haloti he literally swam into my hands and I almost effortlessly brought him to the surface. Haloti was in terrible shape. Fishing line had wrapped around his right fin cutting off all 

circulation of blood. His fin was literally rotting off of his body. Bones were exposed and the flesh was a sickly grayish color. Line had also wrapped around his other fin and had just started cutting into his flesh. I have no doubt whatsoever that Haloti was dead had we not helped him. I didn¹t know at the time if he would make it anyway. Needless to say we turned him over to a vet and thankfully he made it, after that all too common fin amputation. We have shared these types of experiences with dozens of customers but today was special. I can only say that the impact this experience had on Zach was obviously profound and I believe he will end up working to save life as well as a result of his experience with us. One of the perks we get I guess. I asked Zach what he wanted to do on camera earlier that day and he replied: " I want to come work for Deep Ecology.² As far as I¹m concerned Zach, the job is yours for the taking. 

Turtle Rescue #5 "Dan"
August 3, 1999
Three Tables, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

Still on our search for the original turtle that Lauran had told us about we finally found him! Once again on a dive tour with customers our guide/instructor, Dan found the turtle swimming with the use of only one fin. He brought the divers back to the boat. Joe and myself pursued with mask, snorkel and fins. After spotting him about 35-40 ft below we decided I would free dive down and bring him up. After taking deep breaths I descended. Because he was weak and had small tumors around his eyes he seemed oblivious to my approach. I grabbed onto his shell and brought him up without incident. From there, Joe and myself towed him to the boat. Fishing line was indeed all around him and trailing behind. The line had cut once again down to the bone. Swelling, infection, and rotting flesh at the wound created the all too familiar stench. Line wrapped around his neck had only just started to cut into him. It was obvious he needed treatment so we brought him back and turned him over to George Balaas and a turtle rehabilitation center here on Oahu. This being the fifth turtle we had found in only 31 days. I was becoming more dissatisfied with Hawaii¹s pitiful lack of ecological consciousness. We knew that there were countless more turtles and other marine life dying from the discarded waste of careless fishermen and we vowed to continue searching, and more important documenting. On this day I stated for the media "I guarantee we find more turtles.: Four days later we had turtle #6 ("Haloti²). Within two weeks we found #7 ("Zoe²), #8 ("Kenny²) and 9 ("Bumpy²).

Save Sharks Cove # 4
July 27, 1999

North Shore Neighborhood Board Meeting
With tremendous effort on behalf of the so many supporters in the community we managed to make this the most attended Neighborhood Meeting in 1999, by far. The Haleiwa Surf Center was completely packed and people spilled out of the building. This meeting was covered by two local news stations, one with a live feed broadcast. Passions were exposed on both sides and the apathy of norm was absent for now. On this night threats were made against Deep Ecology for essentially initiating this grassroots movement. These threats entailed throwing a firebomb into our shop. This threat displays the mentality of many of those who oppose conservation for selfish reasons. As a company with unflinching commitment, these types of intimidation methods only serve to strengthen our resolve to protect the marine environment. the result of the meeting was that a task force were to be formed at a meeting one month later. Good or bad, the process was now officially reaching governmental levels. I personally was asked by our State Senator if I would be willing to serve on the task force and my response was "only if I know that it is legit.² My main concern was that this task force, indeed make the strong recommendations necessary to affect real change for the better. We shall see..

Ghost Net Recovery #5
July 25th, 1999
Maile Point, West Side Oahu
We returned with a smaller dive team, but with the same results. After two postponements by the other divers we went forward with this overdue recovery. Approximately 200 feet of net recovered with one crab released from the net to live another day. On both dives recovering this net we sighted Hammerhead Sharks on our ascent. In a way we like to think it was their way of giving consent and thanks to our efforts.

Dead Turtle Recovery "Salem"
July 25th, 1999
Kahana Bay, East Side Oahu

Having removed the ghost net in the morning we were off to conduct a beach clean up (which we do regularly) at Kahana Bay. Within an hour I spotted a seemingly lifeless turtle in the rocky shallows. Upon closer inspection it became clear the turtle was indeed dead. Not only did this turtle have tumors all over his body, but also fishing line wrapped around both front fins, and his mouth. His body was still warm so I knew he had not been dead long. My frustration was heightened once again. This turtle epitomized on the injustices humanity thrusts on the marine environment. All there was left to do was to bag up this latest victim and work that much harder to change the realities of today.

Save Sharks Cove Cleanup
July 24th, 1999
Sharks Cove, North Shore Oahu
With the big neighborhood board meeting in three days, a Sharks Cove Cleanup was in order, although we clean up the cove almost daily in summer. Direct Action to us means removing fishing line when we see it. Unfortunately there is no lack of discarded fishing line at Sharks Cove. Three teams of 4-5 divers conducted one dive each on this day and unwrapped line from approximately 100 coral heads. This line as we very well know ends up wrapping around other marine life such as turtles, dolphins, and anything else that swims. We also removed a large outboard motor, which had been dumped.

Turtle Rescue # 4 "Kainoa"
July 10th, 1999
West Point of Waimea Bay, North Shore Oahu
I spotted a turtle with a limp left fin. As I approached I realized that he had a hook through his neck (the same hook from the long line) and fishing line wrapped around his fin like a tourniquet. He was very lethargic and allowed me to grab him quite early, but once I started to bring him to the surface he struggled and shot up, bringing me with him. Once we were at the surface I did not want to pull the hook in his neck so I let him go. Moments later I was able to restrain him in way that would not cause further harm. As I Lifted Kainoa onto the boat. I felt a terrible pain. Ken put me on Oxygen and before I knew it, I was in a medivac chopper on my way to the recompression chamber. After an eight hour chamber dive. I was informed that I had to remain topside for one month. Kainoa's fin was amputated and he was released on the North Shore one month later.

Hook Barb Sabotage
July 9th, 1999
West Point Waimea Bay, North Shore Oahu
Fed up with the fact that we had just found our second turtle in less than a week with hooks and line, we decided to stand watch over the long line contraption, which had nearly killed the turtle "Joey" earlier in the day. This contraption was left completely unattended and had over twenty hooks still on it and was definitely still a threat to marine life. Joe and myself moored the boat directly adjacent to the long-line and intended to watch it through the night assuring no other turtles or otherwise would be needlessly killed. During the night we decided that one way or another the long-line would be removed but in the meantime the barbs on the hooks had to be removed. By doing this we took certain risks of retaliation. For us however this did not matter. The price we would have paid by knowing that another turtle might die was unacceptable. So we cut the barbs and the long-line was rendered useless. The next day we found "Kainoa" who had a large hook from this long-line embedded deep in his neck. Since he was a big turtle he was able to break free, smaller turtles would not be so lucky. Two days later, and three news stories later, the long-line contraption mysteriously disappeared. However it may have vanished it has not reappeared. We will make sure of that.

Turtle Rescue #3 "Joey"
July 9th, 1999
West Point of Waimea Bay, North Shore Oahu
I was leading a tour with certified divers at the dive site behind my house "Joe's Backyard" when I saw a turtle off in the distance. At first I was excited because I enjoy seeing turtles, but, as I approached, realized that the turtle was in trouble. The turtle had been hooked by a make shift long line through his front fin. His body was limp in the water and he appeared to be dead. Just as I reached out to grab him the turtle came to life and bean struggling to reach the surface. The line was holding him underwater so he was unable to breath and slowly dying. The hook that was through his fin began to tear his flesh during the struggle. So in a cloud of brown blood, I cut the turtle free. Once he was free, I realized that the excess line could snag on the reef and possibly drown the turtle so; Ken and I chased him for about a half hour until Ken was able to capture him. Once on the boat, we removed the hook and set him free. Without question we had saved this turtle from drowning and gave him a second chance, one of the best feelings possible.

Turtle Rescue #2 "Lefty"
July 3, 1999
Haleiwa Trench, North Shore Oahu

In looking back, its amazing just how one statement can snowball into a tremendous sequence of events. On July 2nd a friend, Lauran, came to the shop and said: "There¹s a turtle at Haleiwa Trench² with fishing line wrapped all around him. He¹s in bad shape² With that we were on a mission to find this turtle. The next morning we have a team of four divers and the search was on. About twenty five minutes into the dive Lauran found a large turtle resting underneath a ledge. He had line wrapped tightly around his right fin. Lauran proceeded to flush him out as I positioned myself to grab hold of him. When I did he resisted but we eventually made the 70ft ascent to the surface. Holding onto this big turtle was no easy task but we managed to get him onto the boat and remove the line which was literally cutting down to the bone. Just as with "Chance² the bad fin was double the size of the normal one. Emanating from the deep wound, swelling, and apparent infection was the stench of rotting flesh. Despite the horrendous wound I knew from my experience with Chance that he could survive. Even though the loss of his fin was almost inevitable. With this in mind we let him go. We believe that we sighted Lefty about three weeks later. We will continue to watch for him. Lefty however was not the turtle Lauran had sighted the previous day. The search would continue. It took only six days before we found turtle #3. 

Baby Dolphin
July 1, 1999
Waimea Bay, North Shore Oahu, HI

While conducting a boat dive charter we came across our resident pod of Spinner Dolphins. On this day they seemed receptive so we allowed our customers to snorkel around the boat while the dolphins made passes. One of our customers caught very dearly on video a baby dolphin with his mother. The baby undeniably had fishing line wrapped around his tail fluke and was dragging this somewhat weighted line 10-20 ft behind him. We were unable to do anything that day and we have searched for him several times since. The unpleasant reality is that either that line broke free or he has since died. I have watched the video clip several times and I still get frustrated with the fact that we were able to do nothing but share reality to others in the hope that we can change it. 

Save Sharks Cove #3
June 22, 1999
North Shore Neighborhood Board Monthly Meeting
After my last statement the wheels indeed were turning to change the status of Sharks cove. DLNR, a Senator and a relatively apathetic community were now involved. DLNR came to this meeting with the proposal to change the rules at Sharks Cove, which would prohibit the taking of marine life and create the North Shore's first ever-true marine sanctuary. This proposal as popular as it would be with the majority of North Shore residents was met with a very vocal minority of fishermen whose primary interest was access, not conservation. Either way, public awareness was heavily increased and dozens of residents were now participating in the meeting, which is typically a very sleepy affair. The decision was made to allow full public input at the following Neighborhood Board Meeting. It was made clear to me from a very credible source that if only 10-15% opposition was voiced that DLNR would drop the rule changes and the highly, insufficient status quo would continue. The official "Save Sharks Cove" campaign was born at this time and it has become our highest priority as a dive operation to assure Sharks Cove becomes our first Sanctuary, and if we are successful, significantly expanded. The stage was set for one of the biggest North Shore Neighborhood Board Meetings ever in July.

"Chance Sighted!!!" Ten Months Later
June 1999,
Three Tables, North Shore Oahu, Hawaii

What a thrill it was to see the turtle we have rescued 10 months earlier. To know that we literally saved his life is a feeling more precious than anything money can buy. Chance had indeed lost his fin but despite the odds, he was making it. I was able to free dive down to him several times and he showed no fear at all. I really believe deep down he knows who I am and is grateful. Either way it has been an honor to help him. I hope we see him many times over the years. 

Ghost Net Recovery #4
June 12, 1999
Maile Point, West Side Oahu
Acting in information given to me by a friend and customer we found out that a ghost net was sighted in the summer of 1998 by other divers. This net was in 180-200 feet of water and was reportedly at least 500 feet long. After having contacted the principal diver who knew of the net I requested we go retrieve it. This was in December 1998 and it was clear he was not interested in "others getting the credit" Even though he had known about this net for at least 5 months. With some coercion we set up a joint team of divers, three from Deep Ecology, two from his team. All of us were trained decompression divers and qualified to do the potentially dangerous net recovery. Despite our differences in motivation the dive went extremely well and approximately 200-250 feet of net were recovered on a dive of just over 60 minutes to 185 feet. The job was not done however and plans were made for the team to dive again. See Ghost Net Recovery #5.

Save Sharks Cove #2
March 1999
North Shore Neighborhood Board Monthly Meeting
Once again my point at this meeting was to expose the total lack of marine life protection on the North Shore. Of the 50 miles of coastline we have, literally not one inch is protected. As a dive operation we believe it is our highest priority to change that, and it was with that message I spoke once again. The reality is that on the entire island of Oahu, roughly three miles of coastline is protected. This is fairly typical throughout the state and it is a broader goal of ours to expose that, so that changes are made. As a result primarily from our statement a State Senator (Bunda) and his aid got directly involved in a new push to compel the Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) to open up rules changes, which could prohibit the taking of marine life at Sharks Cove. Indeed they did and the wheels began to turn.

Save Sharks Cove # 1
February 1999
North Shore Neighborhood Board Monthly Meeting
Being based on the North Shore we dive at a spot called Sharks Cove on a regular basis. This spot was voted one of the top 12 shore dives in the world by the readers of Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine in 1996. Despite this, the area is not protected. Although the state made it a "Marine Life Conservation District" (MLCD) in 1983. It also allowed exceptions to the normal rules so that spear fishing, pole fishing and even netting are allowed in the area. This MLCD is one of many "feel good" conservation areas throughout the state that do virtually nothing to protect our marine resources. At a typical meeting with 10-15 residents attending I stated what a "disgrace" I felt the area was. I also stated that it was an "embarrassment" to the visitors of the world who could see our obviously backwards conservation policies.

Ghost Net Recovery # 3
February 1999
Chinaman's Hat, East Side Oahu
On a tip from Michael, a customer and Sea Shepherd supporter we were off to remove our next ghost net. This net was in only 8 foot of water but had already ripped up dozens of coral heads. With great effort we were able to lift the massive ball of net and debris onto kayaks and paddle it to shore. This process took over two hours. In removing this net we had to use tremendous care not to further damage the reef. Sometimes however it is virtually impossible not do some damage.

Ken visits local High School
January 1999
Kahuku High School, Oahu
In an effort to raise the younger generation's awareness. I took an opportunity to address teenagers at a local high school. I have done this many times and look forward to sharing more of my experiences in the future. Kids and young adults always give me hope. Self-interest and they generally are very eager to know what's happening in the oceans so much less clouds their eyes.

Paul Watson Visits Deep Ecology
January 1999
Deep Ecology Shop
Having developed respect and a friendship with each other, it was Deep Ecology's honor to host one of the founding fathers of Greenpeace and the founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Paul Watson for two nights. Undoubtedly Paul is a legend among legends in the environmental movement. Deep Ecology also set up a lecture by Paul at the University of Hawaii, Public Radio interview and an address to teenagers at the shop regarding his experiences. This address was in turn televised on one of Hawaii's favorite locally produced television shows, the "Hawaiian Moving Company".

Ghost Net Recovery #2
December 26, 1998
Electric Beach, West Side Oahu
The day after Christmas 1998 will stand out in my mind as one of the most aggravating and most gratifying days I have ever had. This net had been abandoned at one of Oahu's most popular shore dives and sighted by our instructor, Dan Morse. Deep Ecology staff found the net which spanned over 100 ft wrapped over countless coral heads and entangling two Goatfish, two scrawled Filefish, a Moorish Idol, Spiny Lobster, Crab and a Spiny Puffer fish. All but one fish could be saved and the entire process was documented on video and still photography. It took six divers over an hour to remove this net, which had done substantial damage to coral. The ignorance and blatant disregard for human and marine life that the individuals responsible for this net exhibit is in my mind indefensible. In the Hawaiian culture this type of disregard would be a clear threat to the society as a whole and Hawaiians of past were killed for less.

Sea Shepherd Crew
September-December 1998
Neah Bay, Washington State
In the fall of 1998 I was able to live out a dream to crew with the man who is the father of Direct Action and a legend among legends in the ecological movement, Paul Watson. Our goal in Washington was to stop the first killing of a whale by the U.S. in several decades. Even though the Makah Indians had vowed to kill a whale that season, they did not. We had succeeded. But not far long as Watson states "Victories are temporary, and all defeats permanent". In May 1999 the Makah got their whale. A young female that had more than likely interacted with humans in San Ignacio Lagoon in Mexico each winter. She clearly had no reason to fear her killers, who killed her in an eleven-minute period by shooting several .50 caliber bullets into her body. Our current mural is dedicated to the memory of this whale.

Net Sculpture
October 1998
Deep Ecology Shop
Growing frustration with the amount of marine debris we were able to easily collect on our regular beach cleanups, we decided to put this debris to good use. Instead of simply throwing it away, we created a frame to build on. This "Net Sculpture" continues to grow and serves once again to remind us of the ever-increasing problems our oceans are encountering. This monument to human waste has become a landmark in itself and people now stop to take pictures and look in awe at how much we have collected in such a short period of time. Our hope is in doing this we can raise awareness enough to get policies changed to decrease the problem and eventually eliminate it.

Turtle Rescue #1 "Chance"
August 1998
Chris's Backyard, North Shore Oahu
On a tour with customers we came across a resting turtle that clearly had monofilament-fishing line wrapped around his left flipper and neck. While in the water I tried to remove this line while "Chance" started swimming away. In doing this I realized the line was impossible to remove in water and I let go for fear that I might do more damage by holding on. Having done that I got a terrible sinking feeling that I was watching a dead turtle swim away and that I had blown my "chance" to help. I immediately followed Chance who was now very cautious and not allowing me to get close. I literally followed him very calmly for about 10 minutes keeping a faster than normal pace. Eventually I got my opportunity and lunged forward and secured one of his back flippers, than the other. From there I took the now heavily resisting turtle into my arms and ascended to the surface. Once there I swam to the boat and lifted him up. Upon inspection we realized the horrendous damage that discarded monofilament line could have on marine life. The line around his flipper was literally cutting down all the way to the bone. The flipper was virtually useless and swollen to easily double the size of the normal one. At that point we knew that ": Chance" would have definitely died by the line around his neck which would have invariably choked him. It took us approximately 15 minutes to cut free all the line. We decided to let Chance go that day even though we had fears for his safety. In retrospect we would have turned him over for veterinary care. Happily however we found Chance ten months later doing well aside from the fact that his flipper had indeed been lost. It is with great joy that I have sighted him two other times and I will continue to look out form him

"Direct Action Policy"
May 1998
Inspired by the one of the founding fathers of Greenpeace and the founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Our Direct Action Policy is attributed to Environmental Legend, Paul Watson. While most in the ecology movement talk, Paul acts. The Sea Shepherds have saved more marine life directly than any other organization, hands down. Direct Action is the reason why, and it is what truly sets our dive operation apart from all others. The bottom line is when we are in a position to remove marine hazards or save life, without jeopardizing customer safety; we do it, with no hesitation.

Ghost Net Mural # 1
May 1998
Deep Ecology Shop
As an educational tool we took our 40 ft storage container and turned it into the canvass for our Ghost Net Mural. Reminding people of the damage that abandoned nets pose to all marine life. To date, October 1999, we have collected over 5 tons of debris.

Ghost Net Recovery #1
Feb 1998
Makua Beach, West Side Oahu
While conducting a tour of Makua dive site with customers, we found an approximately 100-150 ft long lay net which was recently abandoned. The net was in an area frequented daily by Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins and also home to Green Sea Turtles and countless reef fish. This net had anchored itself, as they typically do, by wrapping around coral heads. In this process many coral heads are ripped off the reef, destroying homes to many marine species. This job was too dangerous to conduct with customers. So the decision was made to return the following day. Upon returning the next day we released two crabs that had become entangled. I never like to leave these nets for fear that more life will be needlessly lost so I was glad that nothing had apparently died in the last 20 hours. Chris Barboza, Senior Instructor and myself would do the net removal while two safety divers observed. Darrel and Pete documented and observed while Chris and I went through the arduous task of removal. We nearly needed a second tank, as we were both very low on air by the time we had managed to walk this ghost net the 150 yards to shore along the bottom. We actually balled up the net as best we could, removed our fins, put the weight of the net on our backs and walked it in. Very slowly, I might add. After completing the removal I realized just how angry I felt that people simply abandoned nets. But at the same time, it felt good to know that we had made a difference. In real terms we had saved life, whether it was dolphins, turtles, reef fish, coral heads, etc. We undoubtedly had saved life. Little did we know that this was the beginning our formal "Direct Action Policy"


©1999 Deep Ecology and North Shore Diving Headquarters